Quick, easy AND healthy everyday food is one of the most important tools for a healthy lifestyle, and just because it’s healthy it doesn’t mean it has to be boring. This tomato soup is great in the autumn and winter when fresh vegetables are hard to get by.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large carrot (100 grams)
- 1 small sweet potato (150 grams)
- 100 ml of red (coral) lentils
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (400 grams)
- 200 ml of water
- 1 table spoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 cube of vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- 150 grams of goat cheese (or cottage cheese/yoghurt with herbs)
- 50 ml of pumpkin seeds
Makes 2 portions
What to do
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a casserole.
- Chop the onions finely and add to the hot oil, fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the carrot and sweet potato in small cubes, smaller cubes are quicker to cook. Add this to the onions and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Press (or chop finely) the garlic and add to the casserole.
- Add the lentils, the crushed tomatoes, the water, the vinegar and crumble in the cube of broth (or use a liquid broth).
- Simmer everything for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potato and carrot are soft enough for your taste.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- While the soup is simmering, roast the pumpkin seeds in a hot, dry pan until they darken.
- Serve the soup in a bowl with some goat cheese, yoghurt or cottage cheese with herbs and the roasted pumpkin seeds.
- If you get leftover soup, you can mix it and use it as a pasta sauce, or a sauce to some grilled chicken and roasted potatoes. Or make a big batch and freeze for another day and serve with different toppings, such as walnuts, chopped cucumber, croutons, smoked ham or feta cheese.
Eating more vegetables is the most important thing you can do to improve your health through your everyday diet. As shown with this soup, eating vegetables doesn’t necessarily mean you have to eat a massive salad every day, it doesn’t even have to be vegetarian!
Adding more vegetables to your diet also means you add more fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and you also add more volume to your food without adding much more energy (calories), which is very helpful if you want to lose weight or prevent gaining weight.
Un avis sur « Quick Tomato Soup »
Thank you for sharing!